- Gary Porpora
Another !#$&! TNF Yawner
Updated: Nov 3, 2019
NFL 2019 TNF WEEK THREE
TENNESEE TITANS @ JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS + 2.5 37.5 [O]
The whims of fate and the American punditry have beaten this game down from the already unglamorous match-up we expected, even though the public loved the Titans from the get go.
It’s been a roller coaster fueled by the gravity of the Jags starting their backup QB, after losing Super Bowl MVP, Nick Foles to a busted collar bone in Week One, amid the promise of Gardner Minshew II who looked poised in last week's narrow loss to Houston.
Meanwhile, Tennessee spanked Cleveland back to reality in Week One and were touted as "making a statement." That statement became a whimper after last week’s one-point loss in Indy.
The Total opened at 48, then upon Jalen Ramsey’s hissy fit with HC, Doug Marrone, the Jags brain trust leaked trade rumors Ramsey will be traded on Friday. That tid-bit was all over media—social and otherwise—before the Jags took their showers lamenting their loss to Houston. The Total Number plummeted to 38 or under at some books. What a strange turn of events. Usually an O/U Number never moves more than two points.
One word defines Titans QB, Marcus Mariota: inconsistent. At times he dazzles with his arm and legs. Too many times, his decision-making, and/or accuracy aren’t good enough to win tight games. He’s a little banged up and the Titans have relied on Derek Henry and a stout defense to control their games.
The Jags lost Nick Foles for the near future and Gardner Minshew needs to take care of the ball after three fumbles against Houston. In tonight’s contest, the Spotted Cats need to corral Henry early and force Mariota to be the difference maker.
Even the trends scream TITANS:
· The Jags are 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games.
· The total has gone UNDER in 4 of The Jags’ last 5 games.
· The Jags are 2-12 SU in their last 14 games.
· The total has gone OVER in 5 of The Jags’ last 7 games against Tennessee.
· The total has gone UNDER in 4 of The Jags’ last 5 games at home.
· The total has gone UNDER in 7 of The Jags’ last 9 games when playing at home against Tennessee.
· The Jags are 2-9 SU in their last 11 games against an opponent in the AFC conference.
· The Jags are 1-7 SU in their last 8 games against an opponent in the AFC South division.
· The Jags are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games played in September.
· The Jags are 3-6 ATS in their last 9 games played in week 3.
Most of the above negativity occurred with the incompetent Blake Bortles as the Jags QB.
Both teams can be run on; both can rush the passer and score on defense. Both defenses are good against the pass. The so-called experts have been dissing Gardner Minshew as a stop-gap quarterback comparing him to the pretty awful Blake Bortles.
I’m not so sure.
We think Minshew is just getting started and we’re going against the public on two counts—The Jags win outright—barely Over the Number.
Jags 23 Titans 16